Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, November 22, 2019

Pimento Cheese Spread for Sandwiches

Southern Pimento Cheese
For Sandwiches

This is another one of those recipes I grew up eating in the south and I absolutely love it! I have never, ever seen anyone bring Pimento Cheese Sandwiches to a gathering of any kind here in Ohio in the 40+ years I have lived here. I am the only one who has fixed it and nobody even knows what it is!

I discovered several years ago that there is a brand called Prices that my grocery store, Kroger,  sells and it's actually pretty good. I even found pimento cheese spread at Aldi recently and it was just as good as the Prices brand. But homemade is much better. I was looking for recipes on Pinterest and many of them added all kinds of spices, but I just love the simple pimento cheese spread my mama fixed. And btw, my mama never used sugar in hers, but I like it in this spread.

Can you tell I miss the south? I do fix southern food at home all the time, but sometimes I feel lonely when many people up here don't even know what grits, okra, black eyed peas, hoe cakes, red beans and rice or pimento cheese is. And of course, these are only a few of the southern foods I love.

Pimento Cheese Spread -
 great as a dip or spread
 on crackers for your
 holiday party! Delicious!
      


This recipe makes enough spread for about 12 whole sandwiches. What I'm showing above in the small container was what was left over after making 9 sandwiches. You  can also use it as a dip or spread on crackers.

INGREDIENTS - makes
9-12 sandwiches

2 cups Colby cheese, grated (it's better if you buy the chunk and grate it yourself, otherwise it will be too dry because of the flour or corn starch they coat it with)

1 cup original Velveeta cheese, grated

1 - 4 oz jar, diced pimentos, undrained (Note: this is the larger of the small glass jars you will find in the aisle with canned vegetables at Kroger. The pimentos (in the glass jar) are usually on the top shelf, near the canned mushrooms

Update: OR
You could use roasted red peppers that come in a jar. 8/12/20 - I used these roasted red peppers, (see picture below) because I didn't have the pimentos, and I couldn't tell any difference in the taste. I think I got this jar of peppers (below) at Big Lots when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

½ cup (or more) Hellman's mayonnaise or Dukes GF mayo, (more or less - sorry I didnt measure it!)

6 oz cream cheese, softened

2 - 3 teaspoons sugar or to taste

Optional: 1-2 tablespoons grated sweet Vidalia onion. I like it better without onion but sometimes it's nice for a change.

Mix all ingredients together and spread on bread for sandwiches to serve immediately, or you can put it in a container and place in the refrigerate for later.

I hope you enjoy this!

Roasted Red Peppers can be used
instead of pimentos.
 They are the same!


3 comments: