Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Creamy Broccoli Soup - My Favorite

This broccoli Soup recipe is quick, easy and delicious! It takes only a total of about 30 minutes to make from start to finish. A little old lady gave me this recipe in the 80's and I've never found another one that compares to it. The secret of the creaminess is the cream of mushroom soup, Half and Half (or real cream) and Velveeta cheese. Most other recipes call for cheddar and they're good, but this is my absolute favorite broccoli soup recipe.

Creamy Broccoli Soup 
Gluten Free
 
Creamy Broccoli Soup

INGREDIENTS
48 oz can chicken broth or 4 - 15oz cans (sometimes I add Chicken Bullion to water if I don't have enough chicken broth)
2 - 10 oz bags/boxes frozen broccoli or 1 whole head fresh broccoli (cut up in bite size pieces)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 stick butter (8 Tbs)
2 cups Half and Half (or heavy cream)
16oz Original Velveeta (that's half of the big 2 lb box)

DIRECTIONS
If you're using fresh broccoli, steam it till it's tender (but not too done)
In the meantime put chicken broth, butter and mushroom soup in a large pan. Stir with a wisk to smooth it.
Cut Velveeta in cubes or grate it with a grater and add to the chicken broth mixture. It's hard to grate it though because the Velveeta is so soft. That's why I cut it up. Heat on low till cheese is melted, stirring as it's melting. Keep stirring so it won't burn on the bottom.
After cheese has melted, add broccoli to the soup. Last, add the cream or Half and Half and heat through for just a few minutes. This should all only take 30 minutes or less. It will take longer if you use fresh broccoli that has to be cut up.

Update:
I had fresh this time (Dec 2021) and it took an extra 30 minutes to cut it up and stream it. Next time I think I'll buy the frozen broccoli because it's actually just as good as the fresh, which cuts off 30 minutes from the time. Just make sure you squeeze all the water out of the frozen broccoli that's been thawed. Just don't cook or steam the frozen. It's perfect the way it is! It's delicious!
This time I threw in some sharp shredded cheddar cheese. 

No flour so it's gluten free! The soup is thick enough on it's on. But if you want it to be thicker, make a slurry of cornstarch and COLD water, then add it to the hot soup while stirring constantly.

Note: 
I think there's nothing worse than cooking broccoli (or other vegetables) too long. You want the broccoli to still have that bright green color. My mom was a great cook and I loved her cooking but I have realized over the years that she way overcooked things liked broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green beans and some other veggies. Actually I hated Brussels sprouts growing up, but I love them, now that I learned to bake them or saute them in butter (not tons of water). I've used the frozen broccoli before and it's just as good, but if I have time I like to buy it fresh. (Cut it up and steam it). Of course, when I use the frozen broccoli I don't cook it. I just thaw it out, drain and add it to the soup.

Creamy Broccoli Soup - Gluten Free
Creamy Broccoli Soup
Gluten Free



Creamy Broccoli Soup 
Gluten Free




2 comments: