Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fastest Crocheter Contest - I won!

Can't believe it's been 4 years ago, but the ladies in our local CGOA coaxed me into entering the fastest crocheter contest. You see, I said they "coaxed me" because I do not crochet fast. I prefer to work at a leisurely pace unless I'm working on a design for a deadline. Even though it's my work, I still want to enjoy what I'm doing and I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to go at a really fast pace all the time.

Don't let this certificate fool you! I'm probably not half as fast as Lisa Gentry or Lilly Chin! I'll have to ask Lisa how many stitches she did in 5 minutes to win the title of "Fastest Crocheter in the World"!! (Guinness Book of World Records)
 Anyway, since we only had around 10 people there that night, it was difficult to get the 6 or 7 of us to agree to entering the contest. I decided to go all out and give it a shot, and to my surprise, I won! Pam Frye, who had won all the previous years, probably felt sorry for me and allowed me to win. I don't know why I felt guilty, but maybe it's because I'm a professional crocheter? I have been crocheting for 42 years now, but some of the ladies have crocheted more often than I did through the years. I mostly made things for baby showers and Christmas gifts, until I started designing and actually making money from it. So now I do it just about every day!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the fun win! I can definitely understand why you'd rather crochet leisurely when possible, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I'm so pleased to have found your blog. I hope to buy your book "Crochet that fits" soon, as I have made hats using the graduated stitch method, and thought it would be a good idea to try making a sweater. I see you already thought of it! Fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the quiet homemaker: I'm so glad you found my blog too! If you're read this, how can I email you? I tried to contact you but couldn't. Just have a question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy for you, Mary Jane! (sister) You deserve this. You crochet so fast it makes me dizzy! I haven't picked up crochet in 4 or 5 years! Are you bringing any crochet on the plane next week? Can hardly wait to see you here in Texas.
    Love you,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi big sissy! Yes, I'm definitely bringing crochet w/ me on the plane. You know me better than that:)I have lots of things to work on, and I also have 1-2 hour lay overs at 2 different airports before I get to Tyler. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete