Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Chocolate Cherry Torte

Doesn't this cake look yummy? It's one I've fixed for over 35 years. This is a really simple recipe, but makes a gorgeous cake if you're looking for something special, especially if you love chocolate and cherries together! The recipe says to use 3 round cake pans but I have always used my bundt cake pan and just sliced the cake in 3 layers. Be careful though, so it won't break. It's easier to put the cool whip on the layers if it's slightly thawed. And make sure you get there largest can of pie filling. Enjoy!


1 box dark chocolate or Devil's Food cake mix
1 lg. container whipped topping
1 lg. can cherry pie filling

Make cake following package directions. Divide into 3 greased 9 inch cake pans. (I use my Bundt cake pan and slice it in 3 layers being careful not to break it). Bake for 15 to 18 minutes at 350 F. Cool on metal racks.
Layer cherry pie filling and Cool Whip on layers. Top with Cool Whip and decorate with cherries if desired.

I cut this page out of a magazine all those years ago. You can tell it's been battered!
I finally found the original recipe on the web here

6 comments:

  1. Mary Jane, this sounds delicious and it is so easy to make! I can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!I hope you like it! I love chocolate and cherry together. Have you tried the Dark Chocolate Cherry Coffee?

      Delete
    2. No, I haven't tried that coffee, but it sounds like it would be delicious! Where could I find it? Is it in grocery stores?

      Delete
    3. Debbie, sorry I didn't see your question before! I did find the Chocolate Cherry 8 O'Clock in my Kroger 3 years ago. I loved it so much that I went back and bought 2-3 more bags as gifts, but then they ran out. I wanted more for myself, so I looked up their website and ordered it from there. I figured they had it in the store only for the holidays and I haven't seen it in my Kroger in over 3 years - not even during the holidays. There's also a Facebook page for 8 O'Clock coffee. Did got ever find the Chocolate Cherry Flavor?

      Delete
  2. I can't believe it--I've made the same cake and it's always a big hit! I bake it in my huge roasting pan, (which is usually reserved for turkeys--LOL) because it's easier to cut and serve.Sometimes, I use powered sugar on top instead of Cool Whip.Thanks for sharing, MaryJane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kathy, doo you mean you double or triple the recipe too make it that big?

      Delete