Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Indian Peanut Chicken over Rice



Indian Peanut Chicken over Rice – Mary Jane’s recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 Tb peanut oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 2 - 3 teaspoons yellow curry powder (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ -1 tsp crushed red pepper (I used ½ tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 4 – 5 tsps brown sugar (or to taste)
  • ½ cup Half & Half or plain Greek Yogurt (could use more than ½ cup – I didn’t measure)
  • ½ cup (or more) golden raisins
  • Small amounts (1 - 2 dashes each) coriander, turmeric, ground cayenne pepper,  cinnamon, & cardamom.
  • 8 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
  • Chopped peanuts and grated coconut for garnish
Optional : 3 – 6 chopped plum tomatoes (I didn't want chunks of tomatoes in my recipe, but some people like that)

Preparation

Chop chicken & set aside. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes till tender, stirring frequently. Add chopped chicken; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring frequently. Stir in peanut butter and next 9 ingredients (through half & half); bring to a boil. Reduce heat (so it won't curdle); add other spices (dashes) & golden raisins; stir and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. If you are adding fresh tomatoes add them before you simmer for 30 minutes. Serve chicken mixture over rice; top each serving with coconut, chopped peanuts & more raisins if desired. 

I didn't find a recipe I wanted to make so I came up with this and we all loved it. Reminds me of Chicken Korma. You could substitute cashews for the peanuts to be more like Chicken Korma if you like. Sorry I don't have a picture. I will post one next time I fix this!

No comments:

Post a Comment