Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Authentic Cincinnati Chili

Authentic Cincinnati Chili

Jane Tibbet's introduced this to us when we first moved to Xenia in 1981. Even though we lived in NE Ohio for 10 yrs, and my husband was from Ohio, I'd never heard of this dish. I did not like it at first! But then I grew to love it so much that I craved it! Brian loves it just as much as I do too! It's not really a Chili and its not really a Spaghetti, but is a unique dish full of flavor. It calls for many spices including dry chocolate cocoa, cinnamon, cloves and all spice! You can eat it 3-way, 4-way or 5-way, but I eat my Cincinnati Chili 6-way! (Spaghetti noodles, Sauce, cheese, beans, sweet onion and chopped green pepper on top)


 Cincinnati Chili             Serves 6

1 quart water (4 cups)
2 lbs ground beef (I use 80 (lean) / 20 (fat)
2 medium onions, grated
2 - 8oz cans tomato sauce (Or 1 can tomato sauce and 1 can tomato paste)
5 whole allspice   or   1/2 tsp ground (sometimes I add both)
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
2-4 Tb chili powder (original recipe says 4, but i use 2 or 3)
1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate  OR    1 ½ - 2 Tb dry cocoa (like Hersheys unsweetened powder)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tb vinegar (can be white, apple cidar or red wine vinegar)
1/4 tsp ground corinder
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
5 whole cloves   OR   1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Cooked spaghetti noodles

TOPPINGS
Finely grated cheddar cheese
Red beans, pinto beans or kidney beans
Green pepper, chopped
Sweet Vidalia onion, chopped



Add beef to boiling water in a large soup pan. Stir until beef is to a fine texture. Add rest of ingredients. Simmer 3 hours. (Note: you can cook it less than that, like 2 hrs or less, but it always tastes better if cooked 3 hrs. It will be better the next day too.)
Serve over cooked buttered spaghetti. Top with cheese, beans, green pepper snd onion.  I dont mix the sauce with the noodles but like to just spoon it on top before adding the toppings. 
I LOVE this! Its addicting!
                                                                                    6 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment