Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, January 17, 2020

Crochet Curlique Projects

My "Candy Colored Bracelet" - this Fun Pattern is in the Book, Positively Crochet! - A Book with 50 Crochet Patterns. What A Bargin! Available on Amazon and EBay
I think one of the most unique and fun crochet stitches ever is the crochet curlique. Some people call it a spiral. I have a curlique scarf pattern in 2 of my Kooler Design/Leisure Arts booklets. The first one is Crochet Young and Trendy, published in June 2005. An editor at Leisure Arts told me later that booklet "sailed across the charts that first year". Then in 2015 they did a 2nd printing of that same booklet and titled it Crochet Fashions, but with a different project on the front cover. (A red poncho). This stitch is especially fun for a beginner! I love the fun curlique bracelet with the crochet balls and beads shown above in that first picture. Scroll down to see more curlique projects.

Working The Curlique
The way to work the spiral is to make a chain about 4"- 5" long, adding an inch or two to the length, and when you turn to work the first row, put 2 sc in the second chain from hook, and in each remaining chain across. It will magically start to curl on its on. If you want it to be even curlier, put 3 sc in each stitch instead of 2. You can do the same using all hdc or working dc into the chain. But only work 1 row and then end it off. Your hook size will also determine how tight or loose the curlique will be. If you've never done this, you should try making a curlique now. I promise, you'll be hooked! And I'm sure you can come up with projects of your own. 

Curlique Hair Tie
by Mary Jane Hall

I made the curlique hair ornament with a round stretchy hair thingy. You know what they are! These are cute to wear with a ponytail. 

Another fun, quick project using the curlique would be to make it into a key chain. When a beginner is learning to crochet, I think it is imperative that they have an actual project to work on, rather than sending them home to make a long chain. They will get more excited to be making quick projects they can make for themselves or as a gift for others. This will keep them motivated.

Curlique Key Chain
By Mary Jane Hall

All Curls Scarf
By Mary Jane Hall
Pattern is in Crochet Young and Trendy and Crochet Fashions
(Available on eBay and Amazon)

All Curls Scarf
by Mary Jane Hall





3 comments: