Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Macaroni Salad - No Sugar

My Favorite Macaroni Salad with No Sugar

I am not a huge fan of sweet macaroni salad. I will eat it and enjoy it, but several years ago a little old man brought his version of macaroni salad to a church potluck and I loved it so much that I had to have his recipe. That was many years ago and I have lost that recipe, so I had to try and come up with a version on my own, trying to replicate his. I think I pretty much figured it out since I remember some of the basic ingredients. I do know for sure it was not sweet. There are many more ingredients you can add to macaroni salad, which I don't add to my recipe, and I've listed some below as optional. Actually my recipe is similar to my potato salad in the fact it has lots of eggs and I always use Hellman's mayonnaise. If you do prefer sweet macaroni salad, just as add some
sweet pickle relish and a little sugar. I hope you enjoy this!

Ingredients
1 lb dry macaroni
6 hard boiled eggs
1-1½ cups Hellmans mayonnaise
1-2 Tbs yellow mustard
2/3 cup green pepper, chopped
2/3 cup sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
1-1½ cups black olives, sliced
Milk or cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional- sweet pickle relish, chopped celery, grated carrots  canned tuna, frozen green peas.

To make this as a main dish pasta salad, add Tuna, Diced Ham or Chicken. Even crab or shrimp added would be good!

Instructions
Cook the eggs and let cool before peeling. Set aside. Boil the macaroni and drain in a colander, rinsing the starch off so it won't stick together. After it has drained, place in very large bowl.
While the macaroni is cooking, chop the green pepper and sweet onion. Then slice the olives. Add to the macaroni. Grate the eggs into the macaroni with a grater. Add mayonnaise and mustard. Stir this all together. Add black olives. Taste and add salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
Add more mayo if needed. If you want it a little more creamy, just add some milk or cream, but not too much. Hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. Another added option could be chopped up ham or turkey, pleasing the men folk and adding even more protein. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make this salad many times with tuna in it, but only put protein in it if I'm making it as a main dish. But when I put tuna in it I add more things like pickles.

      Delete