Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps - Thai Style

Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps, shown without the flour tortilla

Easy Gluten Free Meal!
If you've never had the priveledge of munching on this delicious light meal, you're in for a treat. It's a healthy wrap, which is great for lunch, snack or an evening meal. Your kids will love it, because what kid doesn't like peanut butter? You'll find other chicken wraps without it, but Thai style wraps almost always have peanut butter as a main ingredient in the sauce.  This particular recipe can be used with a flour tortilla, or wrapped in Boston lettuce (also known as Bibb lettuce). I like to put the lettuce inside the flour tortilla. In my case, I use gluten free tortillas,  since I am wheat intolerant. Many grocery stores carry the GF version, but I find mine at Aldi, displayed with their other GF products. See my new favorite wraps below-Egglife.

I double this recipe when I make it because we like to have some left over for the next day or two. If you plan to have any leftovers, it would be a good idea to keep the sauce separate from the chicken/cole slaw mixture. Then you can just heat up the sauce. We eat the chicken mixture cold with warm sauce, but you can heat up the chicken If you want. It's just that since its mixed with the cole slaw mix, that may not be good warmed. I hope you enjoy this! It 's one of my favorite meals!

These are my new favorite gluten free, grain free tortillas/wraps

Gluten Free Wraps I buy at Aldi grocery store



Gluten Free Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps

INGREDIENTS

Chicken Filling
3-4 cups cooked chicken tenderloins, chopped in small pieces
1 can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
1½ cups cole slaw mix with carrots
3 - 4 green onions, sliced
4 Tbs chopped peanuts
1 head Boston or Bibb lettuce
Flour tortillas 

Other optional ingredients: (I've seen in restaurants)
cellophane Chinese rice noodles, fresh edamame peas, shiitake mushrooms, sliced red pepper, slivered almonds, sesame seeds, cucumber, cilantro, alfalfa or bean sprouts, fresh chopped snow peas, chopped bamboo shoots

Sauce Ingredients
4 Tbs "Toasted" sesame oil 
1-2 Tbs lite GF soy sauce or Coconut Aminos
4-5 Tbs peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
4 Tbs lime juice
Note: I made this again tonight and didn't realize I was out of lime juice, so I decided to use some rice vinegar and lemon juice instead. The sauce turned out great with this substitute. Nobody even missed the lime juice.
4 Tbs light brown sugar
2 tsp garlic, chopped or minced
1-2 dashes ceyenne red pepper
Note: Tonight I used 1 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce instead and it was great. Just use to taste.

Cook chicken for 15 minutes and set aside to cool. In large bowl, mix together chopped chicken, cole slaw mix, peanuts, water chestnuts and green onions. Taste and see if you need to add any more of the sauce ingredients. I just go by taste anyway.  Tonight I made it again and had to add more brown sugar because I used too much coconut Aminos & it was too salty. In a separate bowl, mix sauce ingredients with wisk. Place sauce in microwave for 2 minutes to warm it.

To Assemble
Layer ingredients on a plate in this order:
Tortilla (warmed in microwave for 15 seconds)
Lettuce
Chicken Mixture
Sauce
Roll up and serve

4 comments: