Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Pork and Saurkraut

Pork and Saurkraut in the Crock Pot 
or in the Oven

Being a southern girl who grew up in the south, I had never heard of Pork with Saurkraut. When we moved to Ohio i quickly found out it was a tradition to serve this dish on New Year's Day. I just couldn't imagine saurkraut with pork, or any meat for that matter. But it soon became one of my favorite meals! There are a few different ways to prepare it, but  it is actually a German dish.

Since my mother in law cooked it in the oven for several hours, that's the way I have always fixed it. But this time I decided to cook it in my crock pot. It turned out better than any other time I have fixed it, so I'm sticking with this recipe. I looked at several different recipes on Pinterest, but decided to come up with my own combination of ingredients. You could easily use this recipe and cook it in the oven (covered) for 3 hours at 300º or 4-6 hours on about 250 degrees. But I'm calling this my:

Pork and Saurkraut in the Crock Pot 



Ingredients
1 pork roast or 2 pkgs pork spare ribs
1 large can or jar saurkraut, undrained
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 -1 cup apple juice
2-3 teaspoons brown sugar
Bacon grease (I keep mine in the freezer when I cook bacon)
Salt and pepper
Oil for sauteing pork

Directions
Salt and pepper pork on all sides and place in frying pan with hot oil. Saute pork on medium high heat, til all sides are brown. Place in crock pot that has been set to "low". Place sliced onions on top, then pour entire jar (including liquid) of saurkraut on top, spreading around. Do NOT drain or rinse kraut. (Note: It will not be as good if you rinse and drain it. Believe me, I know, because I've fixed it both ways. Salt and pepper the saurkraut. Pour the apple juice all over this and then sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Now put about 4-5 teaspoons bacon grease on top of everything. Cook on low in your slow cooker for 6 hours. This is delicious and SO tender! Not to mention the aroma that will fill your home!
I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and either collard greens or green beans. The saurkraut (thats not so sour anymore) and liquid it creates is scrumptious over the mashed potatoes. I hope you enjoy this dish.

Southern Collard Greens




7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being from the south, too, I would never have thought of the combination of pork and sauerkraut before you posted it on facebook. I will have to try this sometime. It is always nice to hear about recipes from different areas and broaden our education. Thanks for posting the recipe on your blog, MaryJane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Debbie! Sorry I'm so late in seeing your comment! I loved this this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for providing good information,Thanks for your sharing.

    ดูหนังฝรั่ง

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to fix this Pork and Sourkraut again today, but cook it on the oven instead of in the crock pot. The main reason is because I don't have enough time for it to cook in the crock pot. That takes 6 hrs, but I'm going to cook it in a 300º oven for 3 hrs. I don't have applesauce, so I am going to use ½ of an apple instead. I will add an update to this post, saying how it turned pout in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say apple juice here, not applesauce, although you could probably use that if you dont have the juice.

      Delete