Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Knit and Crochet Now! TV Show - Interview w/ Mary Jane Hall & FREE pattern from Crochet That Fits!



Click on this title to be taken to the TV show's website!


For those of you who have not seen this show, you don't know what you're missing. Grant it, there are many people who have said they don't get this show (based out of Detroit). I've been on the show and I can't even get it in my area! That stinks, but you can watch the episodes or order the DVD's on their website here:

In the photo to the right, I'm standing next to Candi Jensen, crochet designer, author and producer of the show. I've bought her books for years, long before I began my designing career. She's a very sweet and funny lady! At the far right, I'm standing next to Drew Emborsky, the Crochet Dude, who is also a crochet expert on the show. Another fellow designer friend, Ellen Gormley, (of GoCrochet) and I traveled together and have spoken at other crochet events on the same day. I'll do posts and interviews with them in the future. I'm sure you've heard of them and admire their work! BTW, that's Brett Bara, (on the TV), the host of the show. She was the editor of Crochet Today! magazine for about 3-4 yrs. The staff of the show treated us like royalty while we were there! We had a very elegant motel room and they took us out to eat at a nice restaurant. We were tired, because of traveling and being interviewed the same day, but we had a blast!

The episode I'm on is Season 3 # 108. Candi Jensen interviews me about my designing career and crochet books. Myra Wood (fellow designer friend from California) demonstrates how to make the Cap Sleeve Top in Crochet That Fits, my latest book, voted "Best Crochet Pattern Book of 2008" by Crochet Liberation Front's Flamie Awards. In this book, I show how to make fitted and flattering crochet garments and accessories without having to use increases or decreases. It's not that increases or decreases are all that difficult to do. You just have to pay more attention and some people have a mental block against it. Maybe they've made only afghans, washcloths or scarves all of their crocheting days. I have had litterly 100's of emails from crocheters around the country (and the world) telling me they are making garments (sweaters, skirts, tops) for the first time ever and they are SO excited about that. These are the people I dedicated the book to, and it is very rewarding to hear how this method is making people happy and giving them the pleasures of making garments for themselves and for their friends.

If you go to the Knit and Crochet Now! TV show website, you can also download a free pattern for the Cap Sleeve Top, which is my favorite and the most popular pattern in the book. See photo below.

Ellen Gormley's blog: Go Crochet LINK
Drew Emborsky's (the Crochet Dude) website: LINK

Cap Sleeve Top
This top is made with Grand Opera, a # 3/DK wt. yarn, by Westminster Fibers. This yarn has a tiny, shiny metallic thread interwoven and it is some of the most gorgeous yarn I've ever seen. Wish you could see it in person! There are less expensive substitutes that also work well. Some people say this top looks much like knitting. (as are several of the patterns in Crochet That Fits) I try to do that on purpose sometimes, because I love the look of knitting. I learned many yrs ago to knit, but then when I learned to crochet, I thought it was easier and faster, so that's why I stuck with it. If you are a member of Ravelry, you can go there to see many projects of this top made by other people. (other yarns and other colors) Some have made it longer, and some have even added sleeves. Can't wait to see what some of you come up with!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog! I also enjoy visiting www.knitting-n-crochet.com for free patterns and lots of instructional pages about my favorite hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lissa! Welcome :) I'm really busy but trying to add to the blog a little at a time :)

    ReplyDelete