Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Copyright Laws and Guidelines

Laws Concerning Copyrights - Crochet Designs

Copying someone else's patterns/designs is illegal!  You may think nothing of photo copying a pattern to give to a friend, or post on your blog, but you need to stop and think about what you are doing. I depend on my designs as most of my income right now and if someone is stealing patterns, and sharing them, then they are compromising my lively hood. I work very hard at designing. In fact some times I spend many hours a day working on my patterns. As designers, we do not make tons of money doing this, but it's what we love to do, so please help spread the news that copying is wrong. I am very pleased that you enjoy my patterns, but I ask that you consciously respect this plea. Read some of the facts below, and if you have more questions, you can go to the copyright office online.

Craft Patterns are PROTECTED by copyrights - as with any work of art.
A pattern does NOT need to have a copyright symbol or words to that effect on it to be copyrighted. As soon as an original work is completed, the law says that the author or artist AUTOMATICALLY owns the rights to it, regardless of displaying those rights or not.
Copyrights are upheld for the entire life of the artist or author plus an additional 70 years after their death!
The person who owns the copyright is the ONLY one who can:
Reproduce/make copies of the design/pattern
Display the design/pattern publicly and
Distribute the design/pattern by sale or lending
Copyrights do NOT need to be registered with the US Copyright office in order to be official or upheld by law. That protection is automatic.
Copyrights are upheld and protected by US Federal Law.

Copyright Guidelines- 
A good guideline on copyright laws and crochet patterns. Very important for those wanting to post their own patterns or use others on the net.

 

http://crochet.about.com/library/blcopyrightguide.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment