Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Best Diet on Earth! The Fat Flush - Post # 1

Find the 2016 book on Amazon or eBay
If you are looking for a diet that really works, this is it! I'm only saying this because I have been successful on it twice in my life, when nothing else worked. Read on.... 

You may have heard of Ann Louise Gittleman, the famous nutritionist who developed the Fat Flush Plan back around 1998. At one time she worked at the Mayo Clinic and also wrote a book in 1998 called Beyond Pritkin, where she first introduced her Fat Flush plan. People were saying her plan would not work because she was the one saying, "You need to eat fat to lose fat", at a time when everyone was going on the "fat free phase". But the problem was that people who went fat free actually gained weight! And the food tasted terrible. Now, doctors, researchers and dieters are all singing her praises, because years of research and study have proven her methods work! She came out with the book, The Fat Flush Plan in 2002, which has 3 phases. The first is the 2 week phase. You can choose to stay on that longer or go to phase 2. Then phase 3 is the Lifestyle plan for life.

This diet is based on cleansing toxins from our kidneys and liver, which is our fat burning machine. When we get rid of the toxins, by drinking cranberry juice, lemon water, using flax seeds and flax oil (important Omega 3's), eating the right foods, plus some supplements that help this process, we will help our toxin ladened liver become healthy again and help it to do what it's meant to do - burn fat. It's also about draining our Lymph system to make us feel much better, lose weight and lose cellulite, plus a ton of other benefits. She actually shows you what places on the body we can massage to help loosen  and drain our lymph system. Which is part of where she came up with the term "Fat Flush". You are actually draining fat from your body!  This is why the diet appealed to me. And, she suggests buying a rebounder (a mini tramp) to help drain this too. If you can't buy one, simple jumping jacks will do the trick!

Nothing you can do to control your weight is as important as keeping your liver healthy, according to Gittleman. If you are a human being living on this planet, you can't avoid the pollutants that get our liver all out of whack. (No matter how healthy you are or how healthy you eat). It's a fact. Some things that sabotage our liver and cause it to be sluggish from pollatants are:

1. Alcohol
2. Sugar
3. Trans fats
4. Caffeine
5. Inadequate fiber
6. Stress
7. A lack of sleep
8. Eating wheat and dairy
9. Household cleaners
10. Bacteria
11. Pollutants in the enviroment (1,000's of toxic chemicals we breathe, consume or touch in our environment such as pesticides, car exhaust, secondhand smoke, chemical food additives, and indoor pollutants such as paint, carpets and cleaners, among others.
12. Medications like antidepressants, birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy and antibiotics. 

How can you tell if your liver is "toxic" or overworked?
1. Weight gain, especially around the abdomin
2. Cellulite
3. Abdominal bloating
4. Indigestion
5. High Blood Pressure
6. Elevated cholesterol
7. Fatigue
8. Mood swings
9. Depression
10. Skin rashes
I promise you, when I went on the Fat Flush before, I had no cellulite afterwards!

Ann Louise deals with 10 hidden factors that bring on unwanted pounds. They are:

1. Tired, toxic liver
2. False fat
3. Fear of eating fat
4. Insulin resistance and inflamation
5. Stress as a fat maker
6. Messy Microbiome
7. Poor quality bile
8. Tuckered out thyroid
9. Hidden hitchhikers - parasites
10. Missing magnesium

There is so, so much more info I wish I could tell you, but can't possibly cover everything in this post! Like I said, please ask me questions. But one important statement in the book is what I want to emphasize! She says

 "Only when you bring your liver back to full function will you lose this fat." I guess that's the diet and book in a nutshell!

Since I've had trouble losing weight this past year after finding out I have Hypothyroidism and Hashimotos, an autoimmune disease, I've just decided to go back on the Fat Flush, which is the diet I went on in 2002 and again in 2007. The past 3 months I've been trying the AIP, autoimmune protocol based on a form of the Paleo diet, but I haven't had much success. This has left me feeling very discouraged and depressed, with not much hope of getting better, even though the tests for my thyroid says I'm in the normal range. How's that possible?  Back to my past, around 1996, after menopause, when I started gaining weight after being slim most of my life, I actually went on 30 different diets (I wrote them down!) and the most I could lose on any of them was 1 lb. in 3 months! But then I read an article about the Fat Flush in a Women's World magazine in 2002 and thought I'd try it. I went on it and lost 7 lbs. the 1st week! Of course, this was very encouragjng, which made me stick to it. I lost a total of 30 lbs on it altogether. It took me about 6 yrs. to gain some weight back, because I didn't stay on it, so I went on it again in 2007 and lost from size 14 to a size 6 in just a few months. 

Since gaining weight the past 6 years, from cooking comfort foods for a family living in my home temporariily, a lack of exercise after my esophagus surgery and now the thyroid problem, nothing has worked for me in trying to lose weight. I just decided to go back on the Fat Flush for the 1st time in 10 years and my cousin's widow is going on it with me. We  got our new book in the mail this week for the New Fat Flush Plan - updated and better. Believe me, the first book is fantastic and if you follow the plan you WILL lose weight, but the author has learned so much more, what works and doesn't work, since writing that first book. So this new one should give you even more success. I do not want to start the diet until my friend and I have read the whole book, but I will definitely give updates on our progress. I'm really excited because I now have hope that I can feel better. I remember how much better I felt going on the Fat Flush all those years ago. And I did not have nearly as much pain in my body from conditions such as arthritis and scoliosis.

This diet deals with the thyroid and autoimmune conditions too. Ann Louise Gittleman is a hero in my eyes. You can read so much more about her on the internet.

You don't even have to do strenuous exercises. In fact, too much can be counterproductive. She recommends walking 3-5 times a week for 20 minutes or more depending on your situation. 

 I completely trust her and all her research, since the Fat Flush has been 1 of the top successful diets ever and the fact her books have been on the # 1 New York Time's best selling lists. She knows what she's talking about. Since I went off the antidepressent over a yr. ago (because of weight gain), I haven't had much incentive to do anything and have been depressed a lot. I figured since nothing else is working for me right now, I might as well go on a diet plan that I had so much success on before. I'm still reading the new book, but want to record my progress here on my blog. I will try to post more info on the diet from time to time and if you have any questions, please ask.  By the way, you will want to read the comments below too, because i give more info, as people are asking questions!

There IS hope, if you follow the plan!

Original Fat Flush Book from 2002

POST # 2 on the Fat Flush
This next post was added later, on June 20, 2017

Products I Buy from Trader Joe's for the Fat Flush


If you don't have a Trader Joe's where you live, it is really worth looking for one in a nearby town. My Trader Joe's is about 20 minutes from me and I go there at least once every 2-3 weeks and it's well worth it.


Things I buy at Trader Joe's for the Fat Flush:
1. Flax Seeds - whole, roasted ($2.99 for a 16 oz bag). You can eat them whole (in salads and smoothies) or you can grind them in a coffee grinder, or buy them
already ground. I think they are fresher if I grind them myself, but I do buy the ones already ground too. When I went on the Fat Flush the first time, I didn't grind the seeds. I had no idea at the time that they are more nutritious and beneficial when they are ground, but they helped me lose weight eating them whole anyway. Of course, your teeth grind them up when you are eating them! Sometimes I grind them, but I still like to eat them whole. Btw, the roasted ones taste like a nut. 
2. Ground Flax Seeds - ($2.99 for a 16 oz bag) I think this is the name on the Trader Joe's
brand, but you can also find it in a pkg called Flaxseed Meal by Bob's Red Mill. They have lots of non gluten flours such as coconut flour, almond flour, corn flour, potato flour, rice flour, tapioca flour and others. Big Lots even has a bunch of these flours. 
3. Unsweetened 100% cranberry juice ($4.99 for 32 oz) You dilute it this way: 1 cup unsweetened juice in a half gallon

container, fill the rest with filtered water. You can add stevia or one of the other approved sweeteners. I use stevia. You will drink this during the day, but it's also to be used for your Long Life Cocktail that you'll drink every morning when you first get up and right before going to bed. 
4. Flax Oil - at TraderJoe's it's $8.99, but most other places it's $15-$20 (or more). It's important that this is in a dark container,

because it can go rancid. I
keep it in my refrigerator, but believe me, when I've had it too loog it doesnt taste good. But that's only if I'm not on the diet and haven't used it for a while. When I'm on the FF and usiing it everyday, it doesn't go bad. You are supposed to use flax oil in your salads along with apple cidr vinegar or fresh lemon juice.  (Flax seeds sprinkled on that too) but there are recipes for a viniagrette or other dressings in the book and on Pinterest. You can also put flax oil and flax seeds on your vegetables if you didn't eat a salad for the day. It's important to have at least 2 tablespoons of flax seeds daily and some flax oil. Flax oil and flax seeds are great in smoothies too! In fact, it may be a requirement. 
5. Heart of Palms - This is something I put in my salads that I love. It comes in a can, and you can also buy it at regular grocery stores, but it costs less at Trader Joe's. 
6. Ezekiel Bread - this is the sprouted wheat bread I have been buying for about 19 yrs. When I was tested in 1998 and found out I have a wheat and dairy intolerance, my Dr.told me I could use this instead of regular bread. But the last couple of years I have found out I'm sensitive to the gluten in wheat, and this bread is not gluten free. If you can eat it, though, most grocery stores and health food stores carry it frozen, but Trader Joe's has it fresh - not frozen. I've always kept it in my freezer since I dont use bread that often.
7. Stevia Extract - $9.99. This comes in a small bottle, but it takes just a tiny bit to
sweeten your beverage. The spoon that comes with it is probably less than 1/8th of a teaspoon. This is 100%pur orgsnic stevia extract, and I've never seenthis pur extract any place else. Most of the stevia you get in grocery stores contain fillers that are not good for you and arenot allowed onthe Fat Flush. At Trader Joe's it comes in a liquid ($6.99) as well as packets ($6.99) too. 
Of course, there are other things I buy at Trader Joe's too, but these are the main things I buy for the Fat Flush, since you can find the best prices there.

Let me know if you have questions!

7 comments:

  1. Is this a fairly easy diet to follow? Do you get very hungry or feel limited in your food choices? I'm impressed at your weight loss both times you tried it. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      I'm glad you asked! I never once felt hungry on the Fat Flush. In fact, there were times when I could not even eat everything that was suggested.For instance, snacks between meals. I felt like I didn't need them, but tried to eat them anyway, and just not eat as much for meals.
      The hardest part for me was going off caffeine, but about 2 wks before I started, i did half caffeine and half decaf coffee, and gradually got it down to no caffeine. She suggests a hot beverage called Techino that is a coffee substitute. It's not the same as coffee, but I got used to it. BUT, you'll be glad to know, if you are a coffee drinker,on the new plan, we can have 1 cup of coffee a day! But whether or not you go off caffeine, the first 3 days are the worst, as far as the way you feel.
      You'll probably feel sluggish, but that's normal. It's just your body eliminating toxins that makes you feel that way. So they suggest, (and I recommend) not starting the diet when you have to go some place special. And if a person works outside the home, I recommend going on it on the weekend or if they take a few days off.

      When I first went on it, i thought the diet was pretty radical, but i stuck with it and like I said, having success the first week, kept me on it. After the 2nd wk, i didnt even want sweets or carbs. It's very true that once you go off these things, you really don't crave them anymore!
      I will say this, i know you will lose weight if you folliw the plan, since that's what I did. And you just have to make sure of every little thing, like making sure your protein at meal time is no more than the size of the palm of your hand. You also need to make sure you drink the hot lemon water in the morning before breakfast, and have what's called the "long life cocktail"every night before you go to bed and when you first get up in the morning. The supplements are impirtant too. And by the way, you can have all kinds of foods, just not wheat or white potatoes or things that are bad for you anyway. There are lots of recipes in the book and on the internet, but i ate mostly proteins like chicken, fish and lean beef with vegetables. But I usually ate a salad with chicken or tuna on it, along with a dressing of flax oil (required) and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Plus I always added flax seeds to my salads and smoothies.
      Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? You can get things like flax oil, roasted flax seeds, unsweetened cranberry juice and pure stevia there for a good price.
      Let me know if you have any more questions. It would be cool if you want to go on the Fat Flush with us! We haven't started yet, but I do want to get started. I'm waiting for Ruth Ann, my friend, to get her supplements and Whey Protein powder for smoothies. That's an option for breakfast or a snack. I do need to order some Whey Protein powder too. I didnt realize i didnt have any.
      If you do decide to go on it, you'll need to get your book and I can tell you where to order the supplements and Whey Protein Powder. That info is in the book too.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the information, Mary Jane. We mostly eat vegetables from our garden in the summer, so it probably would be better for me to try the diet this winter. I will order the book so I can be getting myself prepared and in the right frame of mind to begin. Any information on where to order the supplements and whey protein powder would be very much appreciated! Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Debbie, about having the right "mind set". That's the only way I can do anything like this, because having the right mind set really helps you to keep going! I will post the info on where the best place is to get the supplements and Whey Protein Powder as soon as I can.

      Delete
  4. I really think this book may help me! I don't need to0 lose weight, but I was diagnosed with a "fatty liver" (which I attribute to the medications I take).I'm seeing my Gastroenterologist this Thursday, and I'm going to ask if she's familiar with this book.Your enthusiasm is contagious, MaryJane--thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, you're right! This would be great for you because of your liver. Ann Louise talks about a "fatty liver" in the book as part of the reason to go on this. Of course you're right. Medications and all the other pollutents cause our liver to be full of toxins. By the way, you don't have to be overweight to go on this diet to cleanse your liver. It's for anyone who wants to be healtnier. And you will feel much better! I know, because I felt fantastic after going on it before.

      Delete