Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, November 19, 2016

 A friend of mine gave me this recipe about 25 years ago and its really delicious! Everytime I fix it for a carry-in dinner, people want the recipe. I tried to find a recipe like it in Pintrest and the web, but couldnt find one exactly like it, so I thought I'd post it here. So sorry I dont have a picture! I forgot to take a picture when I made it for a gathering last  night, but will take a photo next time. I rarely fix it because of the sugar, but it's OK sometimes, right? This is simply delicious and I hope you enjoy it!

Bowtie Pasta Salad with Broccoli and Bacon

1 box pasta (Bowie or spiral Rotini - 16 oz)
1 bunch fresh broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
1/2 sweet red onion (I use Vidalia when they're in season)
1 pound bacon, cooked. Break up into small pieces when cooled (I only had 1/2 lb, but more is better!)

Sauce
1 1/2 cups Hellmans mayonnaise
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tb vinegar (I used pale cider vinegar)

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Mix all salad ingredients in very large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix  sauce ingredients together, disolving sugar, and pour over salsd.
Refrigerate, but do not put bacon in the salad til it's ready to be served. Otherwise the bacon will get soggy. Once the salad is done, you you may want to taste it to see if you need a few dashes of salt. I did that, even though the recipe doesn't call for salt.

Note: I think this time I used about 2 cups mayonnaise, because my broccoli head was bigger than usual. Also, the original recipe calls for 3-6Tb of vinegar, but I think that's too much. You may like it with more vinegar. The original recipe also says to use 3/4 - 1 cup sugar, but I used a little over 1/2 cup instead. Let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment